New Pill Starts
The UMW Student Health Center is unable to accommodate requests for new pill starts at this time. We would be happy to provide interested women with a list of local providers. We will resume new pill starts in September 2015.
If you wish to start birth control pills, there are two options. The first is a confidential, routine annual women’s health examination with a nurse practitioner. This involves, breast and pelvic exams, Pap smear, Gonorrhea/Chlamydia screening and three months of prescription birth control if desired. This exam is by appointment only.
The second option is a nurse visit without an exam. ACOG (American College of Obstetrics and Gynecology) no longer recommends an annual PAP smear before the age of 21. You may get birth control pills without a female exam. For this option, download the Women’s Health Clinic pre-visit questionnaire and follow the directions at the top. We will review the form to see if you are eligible for this option and call to schedule an appointment once completed.
If you are sexually active, we continue to recommend a yearly female exam for Sexually Transmitted Infections.
CHARGES (will be billed to your student account or Eagle One card):
- Complete women’s health exam $15
- Chlamydia and Gonorrhea testing (urine or cervial swab) – one test/year no cost. Additional testing $15
- Birth control pills from Our Pharmacy. We carry various different birth control pills for $12 per pack. (Students wishing to purchase birth control through the Health Center Pharmacy must receive their care and exams through the Women’s Clinic).
- Emergency contraception and counseling, $35 fee
- Pregnancy testing and counseling, $5 fee
- Nurse visit for birth control, no cost
Other services include:
- Contraceptive counseling including abstinence support
- Evaluation of menstrual irregularities
- Other problems and concerns related to women’s health. Some problems may need referral to a specialist and we will be happy to assist you with that.