In General

Do I need an appointment or can I just walk-in?

The Health Center staff is available to address your health concerns.  All appointments need to be scheduled by contacting us at 540-654-1040.


If the SHC does not take health insurance why do you want our health insurance information?

Though the SHC does not bill health insurance for any services, we may refer you to a laboratory, x-ray facility, emergency room or specialist who will need to know your health insurance.


Where can students get prescriptions filled?

The SHC has a small pharmacy in the Health Center that stocks some birth control pills and a few generic antibiotics. By law, we can only fill prescriptions written by our University Physician. We are not allowed to fill prescriptions from other physicians nor can we special order medications for you.

Prescriptions written by us, or any other physicians, may be filled at one of the following locations all close to UMW campus:

  • Giant Food at Park and Shop in Eagle Village
  • CVS at 591 Emancipation Highway (near the hospital)
  • CVS at 1511 Emancipation Highway (next to Cowan Blvd)
  • Fredericksburg City Pharmacy at 2567 Cowan Blvd  – 10% discount for UMW students and staff on OTC items
    top of page

Medical Forms

I am unable to get my Medical Information Form in on time.  What should I do?

Send your form in just as soon as you possibly can.  Before sending it, check it thoroughly making sure there are no blank spaces.  It is important that all questions are answered.  If the answer is “no” or “none,” write it in.  If you see  blank spaces, check form for completion. If your form is incomplete, you will receive an email to your umw.edu account.  All Forms may be submitted by clicking on the yellow STUDENT PORTAL tab.  Please register, then complete FORMS with a red asterix (Health History, TB Screening, and UMW Privacy).  Immunizations can be submitted by clicking on UPLOADS and scanning your documents to be selected that you have saved on your computer.
top of page


What will happen if I don’t have all my immunizations?

State of Virginia law requires that you document immunization for or natural immunity to Rubeola (measles), mumps, Rubella (German Measles) and tetanus. It also requires that you have a Hepatitis B series of vaccinations (or sign a waiver) and a meningitis shot (or sign a waiver). If any of these requirements are not met, then you will be blocked from registering for your second semester until you meet these requirements.

I don’t have my immunization records.  What should I do?

Check with your physician or your high school. If you cannot find any records, call the Student Health Center, 540-654-1040, and we will work with you. top of page


I missed class because I was sick, can you give me an excuse?

Please see our Absence Excuse Policy.

If you haven’t found an answer to your question, you can click on the “Comments or Questions?” link below and anonymously email your question. We will update the page with an answer as soon as possible.