Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. Celebration 2013
Film and Discussion: Sing Your Song
6 pm; Lee Hall 412
Harry Belafonte’s legacy as an entertainer is well known, but not everyone is as familiar with the important role he played as an activist in the Civil Rights movement. This inspirational documentary of the life of Belafonte recounts his humble beginnings, his childhood in Jamaica, his rise to stardom, and his life-long fight for social justice. From marching with Martin Luther King, Jr. to combating apartheid in South Africa and supporting inner-city youth programs to prevent gang-violence, learn more about the life of Harry Belafonte.
The University of Mary Washington Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. Keynote Speaker: Steve Pemberton
7 pm; Great Hall, Woodard Campus Center
Sponsored by the Office of the President
Steve Pemberton, named one of “the top 20 Chief Diversity Officers in corporate America,” serves as the Divisional VP and Chief Diversity Officer at Walgreens. A ward of the state for much of his childhood, Pemberton has made opportunity, access, and equality pillars of his personal and professional life. He has served on the boards of Big Brother Big Sister, Citi Performing Arts Center, Home for Little Wanderers, and National TRIO Alumni Association. He is the author of A Chance in the World: an Orphan Boy, a Mysterious Past, and How He Found a Place Called Home.
Bone Marrow and Blood Drive
12 to 6 pm; Great Hall, Woodard Campus Center
Every year, over 130, 000 Americans are diagnosed with a serious blood disease requiring a bone marrow transplant, but only 30% of patients who need a bone marrow transplant will have a matching donor in their family. The remaining 70% relies on the national bone marrow registry in hopes of finding a compatible stranger, but with only 2% of the population in the registry, about 1, 000 people die every year because they cannot find a match. Being added to the national registry is quick and requires only a cheek swab, and donating bone marrow is incredibly safe: more than 35, 000 people have donated bone marrow to a stranger without a single donor death. Take a minute out of your day today, donate blood or sign up for the national bone marrow registry and help save a life.
MLK, Jr. Kids Day
9 am to 12 pm; Great Hall, Woodard Campus Center
Kids from the local Fredericksburg community ages 5-12 join us for fun games, activities, and crafts to celebrate and honor Martin Luther King, Jr. Mary Washington students are invited to volunteer to run a craft or game, or help engage children with activities such as improvisation and acting. If you have a flair for the dramatic or just love working with kids, then this is a great service opportunity for you!
MLK, Jr. Day of Service
10 am to 6 pm; Great Hall, Woodard Campus Center
This year, the UMW MLK, Jr. Day of Service will focus on service projects that recognize Dr. King’s dedication to addressing social justice issues, such as poverty and public health. All members of the campus community are invited to participate in the UMW MLK, Jr. Day of Service. Honor Dr. King’s legacy by giving back and getting involved with the Fredericksburg community. Please register online at the James Farmer Multicultural Center website.