The Department of Campus Recreation strives to provide quality facilities and positive experiences to the Mary Washington and Fredericksburg communities. Our recreational spaces can be found in and around Goolrick Hall, located at the end of UMW’s campus walk. We hope that our members find ways to relieve stress, socialize, and improve their physical self through our programs and in our facilities.
Enrolled students, faculty, and staff can access our facilities by presenting their EagleOne ID at the front desk. Otherwise, an active membership is required to utilize our facilities. Looking for instant updates? Follow our social media sites: Facebook, Twitter, Tik Tok, and Instagram.
The Fitness center will be closed for the summer from Friday, April 29 to Tuesday, August 16, 2022
Spring 2022 Hours:
- Monday-Thursday: 8am to 9pm
- Friday: 8am to 8pm
- Saturday and Sunday: 2pm to 8pm
Open Recreation Court Times
Traditionally, when the courts aren’t occupied by sport practices or other activities, they can be used for pick-up basketball and other sports during open hours. During the school year, we will post specific times the courts are open for recreational use, between sport practices and other activities. Stay tuned!
- Mondays: 10:30am-Noon and 6:30pm-8pm
- Tuesdays: Closed
- Wednesdays: 10:30am-Noon and 6:30pm-8pm
- Thursdays: 6:30-8pm
- Fridays: Closed
- Saturdays: 2pm-4pm
- Sundays: 5pm-7pm
COVID Pool Rules:
- Please keep your distance from others on the deck and wear a mask when not in the water.
About Our Facilities
Check out our Virtual Tour page to learn more!
Physical Activity Readiness Questionnaire (PAR-Q)
Being more active is very safe for most people. However, some people should check with their doctor before they start becoming much more physically active. Ask yourself the seven questions in the box below to specify if you need medical clearance from your physician before starting exercise. Informed Use of the PAR-Q: UMW Campus Recreation and their agents assume no liability for persons who undertake physical activity, and if in doubt after reviewing this questionnaire, consult your doctor prior to physical activity.
- Has your doctor ever said that you have a heart condition and that you should only do physical activity recommended by a doctor?
- Do you feel pain in your chest when you do physical activity?
- In the past month, have you had chest pain when you were not doing physical activity?
- Do you lose your balance because of dizziness or do you ever lose consciousness?
- Do you have a bone or joint problem that could be made worse by a change in your physical activity?
- Is your doctor currently prescribing drugs (for example, water pills) for your blood pressure or heart condition?
- Do you know of any other reason why you should not do physical activity?
If you answer YES to one or more questions: Talk with your doctor by phone or in person BEFORE you start becoming much more physically active. Tell your doctor about the PAR-Q and which questions you answered YES to. Have your physician fill out a Medical Release Form providing as much information about contradictions, restrictions, and advice for your exercise program.
If you answer NO honestly to ALL questions: Become more physically active. Begin slowly & build up gradually. This is the safest & easiest way to go.
Equipment You Can Rent
- Barbell Neck Pad
- Cable Weights and Ankle Attachments
- Chalk Ball
- Resistance Loops and Tubes
- Speed Bag
- Towels (fee associated)
- Leather and Chain Weight Belts
Gym Equipment We Have
- Dumbbell Area with Adjustable Benches
- Mat Stations with Dumbbells, Pre-loaded barbells, Medicine Balls, and kettlebells
- Barbell Bench Press Stations
- Strength Rig Stations (Can be adjusted for Squats, Bench Presses, Rows, Shoulder Presses, etc.)
- Smith Machine
- Olympic Lifting Floor
- Leg Press
- Cable Rig (Lat Pulldown, Row, Triceps, Core, etc)
- Assisted Pull-Up Machine (can be used unassisted) and Pull Up Bars
- Step Squat Machine
- Low Pull Cable and Selectorized Machines
- Chest Press Cable and Selectorized Machines
- Core Machine (Abdominals and Obliques)
- Leg Press Machine
- Shoulder Press Machines
- Low Row Machines
- Leg Extension and Leg Curl Machines
- KrankCycle (Wheelchair Accessible Upper Body Mobility Machine)
- Ascents (Elliptical with Incline feature)
- Upright Bikes
- Recumbent Bikes
- S-Drives (Self powered sled push or parachute run simulator)
Frequently Asked Questions
Q. Can my child exercise in the facility?
A. It depends on their age! This question and more can be answered by taking a look at our facility policies.
Q. Can I bring a guest?
A. Yes! Learn more about our membership options here.
Facility reservations are not allowed at this time. We will update this page once this changes.
Students, faculty, and staff can request to reserve the Campus Rec field, Goolrick main basketball courts, Goolrick AUX gym court, or pool by following these steps:
1. Visit umw.edu/reserve or click the button to the left
2. Log into 25Live using your UMW credentials
3. Click “Locations”
4. Type a keyword for the location you are looking for (i.e. “Goolrick” or “Field”)
5. Complete the form. Make sure you select the correct date and time you are looking to reserve! If there are conflicts, the system will tell you.
6. Once you submit the form, your request will be reviewed and either approved or declined based on space availability.
Please note: Campus Recreation does not manage reservation requests for the Goolrick Dance Studios, Tennis Center, or the Anderson Center. They are managed by the Department of Theater and Dance and Athletics respectively.
See the calendar below for an at-a-glance view of activities happening in Goolrick Hall.