The Department of Campus Recreation and the University of Mary Washington prioritize safety, security, and positive experiences. It is expected that all individuals utilizing Campus Recreation facilities abide by the following policies.
- Appropriate membership and identification is required to access Campus Recreation activity spaces. Check-in at front desk is required.
- Individuals under age 16 are prohibited from exercising in the Fitness Center, but may participate in open recreation swim or basketball if accompanied by a sponsor with an active membership. Individuals ages 16-17 must have an active membership and be accompanied by a sponsor with an active membership while in recreational spaces. Individuals age 18 and older must have an active membership and can use recreational spaces without a sponsor present.
- Bags, clothing, and other personal items must be stored away from activity areas in a locker or cubby. The Fitness Center assumes no responsibility for lost or stolen articles.
- All equipment must be used properly, sanitized, and returned to designated areas after use.
- Sharing equipment with others is encouraged.
- Food and beverages without lids are prohibited from activity areas.
- Shirts, athletic bottoms, and closed-toe shoes must be worn in activity areas. Cleats and bare feet are not allowed in the Fitness Center.
- Clothing and accessories that pose a risk to the patron or equipment are prohibited to wear during exercise. This may include jewelry, zippers, and jeans.
- Photography and videography are prohibited in the Fitness Center without approval from a Fitness Center staff member.
- Personal business (i.e. personal training, swim lessons, etc.) is not to be conducted in Campus Recreation facilities.
- Unsafe conditions or damaged equipment should be reported to the Fitness Center staff. Use of the equipment will be discontinued until the issue is resolved.
- Blocking or restriction of emergency exits is prohibited.
- Emergency telephones and exits located in the facility are for emergency use only. Unauthorized use will result in disciplinary action.
- Tobacco use is prohibited in the Fitness Center.
- Patrons under the influence of alcohol and drugs will be asked to leave the facility, will be referred to the appropriate administrators, and may have their privileges suspended.
- Patrons are expected to respect others, cooperate with Fitness Center staff, and comply with policies and safety instructions provided by the Fitness Center Staff.
- Extreme caution should be used in lifting weights to avoid any potential injury.
- Having a spotter is highly encouraged.
- Weights should not be dropped unless the exercise is performed on the Olympic Lifting Platform.
- When performing exercises at the strength rig, two safety bars, two j-hooks, and two barbell clips must be used.
- Overhead Barbell Press, Barbell Squats, Lunges, and similar variations must be performed in the Rig or Dynamic Squat Rack.
- Weight Plates should be returned to appropriate pegs on weight plate trees when no longer in use.
Assumption of Risk
Individuals assume a risk of injury or death while voluntarily participating in physical activity. All participants are strongly encouraged to complete a health evaluation prior to any participation, consult with their personal physician to determine appropriate fitness levels, use good judgement concerning their ability to participate, and to carry medical insurance coverage. The University of Mary Washington and Department of Campus Recreation do not carry insurance to cover patrons.
As a member of the Mary Washington community, eligible patrons have the right to quality facilities, a variety of program opportunities that may contribute to individual wellness, and an environment in which individuals can learn about the components of healthy living.