Through our outdoor recreation program, we host various adventures for the UMW community, including hiking, canoeing, kayaking, tubing, rock climbing, white water rafting, and more. Our trained trip leaders provide guidance and leadership on all adventures. The level of difficulty varies from adventure to adventure, but each trip is an opportunity to explore the outdoors while working on your physical, emotional and social wellness. Join us!
Fall 2021 Trips
- Trip 1: SOAR for freshmen
- Trip 2: SOAR for sophomores
- Stribling Orchard: October 2 from 10am-3pm
Other Adventures we’ve embarked on:
- Leave No Trace Workshop at Falmouth Beach
- Sunset Paddleboarding on the Rappahannock River
- Tubing on the Rappahannock River in Fredericksburg, VA
- Hiking Hawksbill Mountain in the Shenandoah National Park (Distance: 2.9 miles, Difficulty: moderate to strenuous)
- Hiking to Bearfence Viewpoint in the Shenandoah National Park (Distance: 1.1 miles, Difficulty: easy)
- Hiking Old Rag in the Shenandoah National Park (Distance: 9.1 miles, Difficulty: very strenuous)
- Indoor Rock Climbing at Rocky Top Climbing Gym in Charlottesville, VA
- Whitewater Rafting on the New River in Fayetteville, West Virginia
- Caving at Kees Cave in West Virginia
See what trips we’re currently accepting registrations for at campusrec.umw.edu
We’re thankful to work with organizations like the Virginia Outdoor Center, the WILDGUYde, and ACE Adventure Resort to provide you awesome experiences!
The costs of our trips vary from $10-$250 based on the location and duration of the adventure. Registration costs guarantee your spot on the trip, as well as cover transportation, equipment, and activity fees.
How To Register For A Trip
1. Go to campusrec.umw.edu
2. Click “Log In” in the top right corner of the webpage
3. Click the button that says “UMW Net ID and Password”
4. Enter your UMW username and password
5. Once you’re logged in, on the home page, click the “Outdoor Programs” icon
6. Select the trip for which you’d like to register
7. Follow the steps to make your payment. Please note that you will be taken to an external site to make your payment. You must submit your payment and continue moving through the steps until you see a “Successful Payment” confirmation page.
Meet Your Outdoor Rec Staff
Each trip is staffed by 1-2 of our CPR-certified trip leaders who provide guidance, safety, and expertise. If you’re a UMW student interested in joining the Campus Recreation team, please visit careers.umw.edu to view our open positions.
2021-2022 Outdoor Recreation Student Coordinator: Rebecca Winicour
To learn more about the Summer Orientation Adventure Retreat (SOAR) for incoming students, visit the SOAR webpage!
Our Rental Center has equipment for your personal outdoor adventures.
Frequently Asked Questions
Q. Can I use my EagleONE card to pay for an adventure?
A. Yes. If you have money pre-loaded on your EagleONE card, we will accept that as a form of payment at the Fitness Center front desk.
Q. When, where and what time do we leave for an adventure?
A. The trip van leaves from the Anderson Center parking lot. Upon registration, you will receive an itinerary specific to your trip.
Q. If I can’t go on an adventure, will I receive a refund?
A. Campus Recreation enforces a no-refund policy for cancellations and reserves the right to determine whether a refund request will be accepted or declined.
Q. What should I bring on a trip?
A. Every adventure requires different equipment. You will receive a packing list upon registration.
If you’d like to speak with someone in Campus Recreation, please email email@example.com or call 540-654-1732 during business hours.