The Department of Campus Recreation is staffed by two full-time professionals, one part time professional, two graduate coordinators, and over 90 student employees. We’re a friendly bunch, so stop by the Fitness Center to see us! Our student staff is skilled, positive, and extremely fun! If you’re a UMW student interested in joining the Campus Recreation team, please apply here at any time, and we will reach out when it is within our hiring window for each position.
Student Employment Opportunities
- Facility Attendants – Always accepting applications, with interviews in November (for spring employment) and April (for summer and fall employment) as needed.
These students ensure that our recreation facilities are secure, safe, clean, welcoming, and fun!
- Intramural Officials – Always accepting applications, with interviews in August/September.
These students officiate the various intramural sports that we host all year long.
- Outdoor Recreation Trip Leaders – Always accepting applications, with interviews in August/September.
These students lead others on hikes, water adventures, and other outdoor trips.
- Lifeguards – Always accepting applications, with interviews in November (for spring employment) and April (for summer and fall employment) as needed.
These students ensure the safety of patrons who use the Goolrick pool.
- Group Fitness Instructors – Always accepting applications, with auditions on as needed.
These students and community members lead the UMW community in fitness classes each week.
- Personal Trainers – Always accepting applications, with interviews as needed.
These students and community members provide quality one-on-one fitness training to patrons to pay for these services.
- Facility and Intramural Supervisors – Internal promotions only.
Our student supervisors have been promoted into this role to hold more responsibilities in the facilities or program areas in which they work.
- Student Coordinators – Internal promotions only.
Campus Recreation has one student coordinator or intern for each of our major program areas: intramurals, group fitness, sport clubs, and aquatics, as well as for our facilities, and for departmental marketing. These students work roughly 10 hours a week assisting the professional staff with administrative tasks, staff management, event planning, and projects. See all student coordinator position descriptions here.
Marketing Internship Opportunities
We are not currently seeking interns, but will post here when spring internship applications are open.