Graduation Cords


Please review the chart below for information about each type of involvement cord. Most offices listed below will have a list of eligible seniors. For the campus/club involvement, leadership, and sport clubs, club presidents and student employee managers will be asked to submit the names of eligible seniors for a list shared with the UMW Bookstore.

If you are interested in receiving a graduation cord, please complete the following steps:

  1. Determine which graduation cord you are eligible for;
  2. Make sure you are eligible through the appropriate office;
  3. Cords will be eligible for purchase at the Grad Fair on March 9 & 10 in the CRUC Living Rooms. After that, you can stop by the Bookstore to purchase the cords you are eligible for. Bookstore staff will ask you for your name to verify the list they have been given.

Email questions to


Recipient Cord Criteria
Athletics (Grey) Varsity Athlete

The Department of Athletics purchases cords for qualified student-athletes. The cords are silver in color and will be distributed by the sport coaches.

Minimum Standards

To receive a student-athlete cord from the Department of Athletics, the student-athlete will need to have completed two seasons of eligibility or have been on the roster for the entire fall and spring semester of their senior year.

Campus Recreation Sport Club (Red) Club Athlete Documented active membership for minimum of one year on a Campus Rec sponsored club athletic team. Contact Campus Recreation with questions.
James Farmer Multicultural Center (Purple) Anyone Documented active membership and effective leadership (e.g., assisted in the planning and implementing of multicultural/diversity and social justice educational programs) for a minimum of one year in a JFMC-sponsored student organization with a current roster on file in myUMW or with a JFMC-sponsored diversity or social justice initiative.  Contact the JFMC with questions.
Leadership (Green) Student Club Leader/Student Employees Holds a position of leadership either in on-campus employment (ie. coordinator, manager, supervisor, Orientation Leader, Resident Assistant, etc.) or a student club (ie. executive board officer). Contact with questions.
Service (Light Blue) Anyone Students who complete at least 30 hours of community service are eligible to receive the Community Service graduation cord. A student must complete at least 30 hours of community service in the greater Fredericksburg region or on UMW sponsored trips while enrolled as a full-time or part-time student. Some on-campus service is included. To apply for the Community Service cord for graduation, visit the CCE webpage or fill out this form. Questions? Email Kasey Morello at
Campus/Club Involvement (Orange) Anyone Documented active membership for minimum one year in an ICA-recognized organization or club with a current roster on file in myUMW or student employee in an on-campus position. Contact with questions.
Veterans (Intertwined:Red, White & Blue) Veterans For Veterans and Active Military Personnel. Cords are sponsored by UMW and can be picked up in the Transfer and Off-Campus Student Services Office in University Center 320B. Email for more information.