During Thanksgiving, Winter, and Spring Breaks,
ALL University Housing, with the exception of Eagle Landing & the UMW Apartments, is CLOSED.
Any student wishing to remain on campus MUST APPLY below.
Important Break Housing Information
- All residents wishing to remain in their housing assignment during a break period must apply.
- Only those submitting a request will have card access to their residence halls.
- Thanksgiving & Spring Break: All students will be automatically approved following the application submission.
- Winter Break:
- All students requesting to stay late or return early will be automatically approved.
- For residents wishing to remain on campus while the University is closed; if you reside in Framar, Eagle Landing, or the UMW Apartments you will be automatically approved following your application submission. Residents from all other buildings will have the opportunity to apply to stay on campus in a limited number of designated rooms in Russell Hall.
For more information about the application process, deadlines, costs, meal service, closing dates, and safety tips for during breaks please see the Frequently Asked Questions below.
Frequently Asked Questions
How do I apply for Break Housing?
Applications for Break Housing received by the Office of Residence Life by the published deadlines are approved if the following conditions are present. The student:
- is unable to leave for the break.
- is unable to leave until after the residence halls have closed.
- needs to return prior to the residence halls reopening.
The application for break housing is located on MyUMW. Navigate to https://orgsync.com/59554/forms/86018 in order to complete the application.
Who should apply for break housing?
Any student meeting the following conditions should apply for break housing by the posted deadline:
- Student is unable to leave for the break.
- Student is unable to leave until after the residence halls have closed.
- Student needs to return prior to the residence halls reopening.
When are Break Housing applications due?
Failure to meet the deadline published below will result in a $25 late fee being added to your break housing bill.
Thanksgiving & Spring Breaks:
Break Housing Applications are due in MyUMW by the Friday before the Residence Halls close for break.
Break Housing Applications are due in MyUMW by the last day of classes for the fall semester.
What is the cost for Break Housing?
There is no cost for break housing at this time.
When do halls close for breaks and reopen after breaks?
Thanksgiving Break begins and the student residences close at 10:00 a.m. on the Wednesday before Thanksgiving. Residences open at 2:00 p.m. on the Sunday, November 29.
Winter Break begins and the student residences close at 10:00 a.m. on Saturday, December 12. Residences open at 9:00 a.m. on Sunday, January 10.
Spring Break begins and the student residences close at 9:00 p.m. on Friday, February 26. Residences open at 2:00 p.m. on Sunday, March 7.
Are meals served during breaks?
Dining Services is closed for all break periods. Visit UMW Dining at http://umwdining.com/ for more information. Students remaining on campus during breaks are responsible for making alternate arrangements for meals.
How do I help ensure my personal safety on campus during break periods?
UMW Police Officers patrol the campus during break periods, but everyone needs to do their part to assist in the effort to ensure their own safety. Please take the following precautions to help ensure the safety and security of yourself and your personal belongings:
- Lock your room door and apartment/suite door at all times.
- Walk with someone whenever possible or call UMW Police at 540-654-1025 or 540-654-4444 for an escort.
- Call the Police to report any suspicious persons, concerns, or problems.