Crisis Hotlines – Available 24/7
- Crisis Text Line: 741741 / Facebook Messenger: facebook.com/crisistextline
- National Hopeline Network: 1-800-SUICIDE (784-2433)
- National Sexual Assault Hotline: 1-800-656-HOPE (4673) / Life chat: online.rainn.org
- National Suicide Prevention Lifeline: 1-800-273-TALK (8255)
- Northern VA Crisis Hotline: 1-703-527-4077
- Transgender Suicide Hotline: 1-877-565-8860
Resources within the UMW Community
- Academic Services
- Campus Recreation
- Career & Professional Development
- James Farmer Multicultural Center
- Office of Student Life
- The Office of Disability Resources
- The Speaking Center
- Student Activities and Engagement
- Student Health Center
- Student Veteran Resources
- Violence Prevention & Threat Assessment
Brochures and Information
- Depression and Mood Disorders
- Eating Disorders
- Alcohol and Drinking
- Test Anxiety
- Public Speaking Anxiety
- Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder
- Coping with Disaster and Crisis
- Coping with Grief and Loss
- Mental Health and the College Experience
- First Year Survival Guide
- Understanding Self-Injury, Cornell University
- The Student Counseling Virtual Pamphlet Collection – A large collection of pamphlets from different college and university counseling centers covering a wide variety of topics.
Local Mental Health Provider List
- Mental Health America Fredericksburg List of Fredericksburg Providers. Includes therapists, psychologists, and psychiatrists.
Other Services Available from Private Agencies
- Snowden at Fredericksburg– In addition to inpatient psychiatric care, Snowden also provides a partial hospitalization program, and an intensive outpatient program for substance-related disorders. Click the link above to see a virtual tour of the new facility.
- Rappahannock Area Community Services Board– Provides 24 hour crisis intervention. Can help facilitate after-hours inpatient psychiatric hospitalization. Facilitates admission to Crisis Stabilization program (Sunshine Lady House), an alternative to psychiatric inpatient care.
- Spotsylvania Regional Medical Center Behavioral Health– Located in the Spotsylvania Regional Hospital about 10 minutes drive from campus, this is a 10-bed acute inpatient psychiatric unit. There is also a partial-hospitalization program off-site.
Local Support Groups and Resources
- Mary Washington Health Care Support Groups.
- HIV and AIDS Support
- Mental Health America list includes Survivors of Suicide, and Depression and Bipolar Support Groups
- INFO Newsletter– Courtesy of Fredericksburg Counseling Services. Comprehensive list of mental health resources, support groups, and AA/NA meetings.
- Bereavement Support Groups List– Courtesy of Mary Washington Health Care
- Sexual Assault Support Rappahannock Area Council Against Sexual Assault (RCASA)
- EmpowerHouse (Rappahannock Council on Domestic Violence), Resources for women in abusive relationships.
- Alcoholics Anonymous
- Narcotics Anonymous
Online Support Groups and Useful External Websites
- National Institute of Mental Health – Public Information
- American Psychological Association – Public InformationPreview Changes (opens in a new tab)
- National Eating Disorders Association (NEDA)
- Anxiety Disorders Association of America (ADAA)
- Children and Adults with Attention-Deficit/Hyperactivity Disorder (CHADD)
- Go Ask Alice – Columbia University’s Health Q & A Internet Service
- National Alliance on Mental illness (NAMI)
- Depression and Bipolar Support Alliance
- Wrong Planet– A web community designed for individuals (and parents / professionals of those) with Autism, Asperger’s Syndrome, ADHD, PDDs, and other neurological differences.
- Autistic Self Advocacy Network
- What a Difference a Friend Makes Learn more about how to support your friends, classmates, or students with a mental health disability.
- “Am I Gay?” A Guide for People Who Question Their Sexual Orientation