1. Who is considered to be an off-campus student at the University of Mary Washington?

Anyone living off campus whether part time, or full time.

2. What amenities are available to off-campus students?

Full-time students are able to utilize services at the Health Center and the Talley Center for Counseling Services .

The Off-Campus Student Lounge is located in the Cedric Rucker University Center room 406A and is equipped with couches, chairs, tables, a microwave, and other amenities. This space is open Sun-Thurs: 7:00AM to 10:00 PM and Fri-Sat: 7:00AM to 10:00 PM. The Link (located between Randolph and Mason Hall) is also available for off campus students. The link is equipped with lounge furniture and a microwave.

Lockers are available, free of charge, in the University Center and Woodard Campus Center for off-campus students. Assignments can be requested from CJ Porter at 540-654-1659 or cjporter@umw.edu) with priority being given to full-time degree-seeking students.

 3. How important is involvement in student activities?

To make the most out of your experience at UMW, we recommend that you get involved. There are numerous clubs that may hold your interest. If you like knitting, there’s a club for that! If you like Spanish, there’s a club for that! The possibilities are endless. Getting involved can help you form relationships with students, not only in your class, but also from different backgrounds. Being an off-campus student can make forming connections on campus a little more difficult, however, getting involved can help!

 4. Can I still have a meal plan on campus?

Of course! Off-campus students may sign up for any of the offered meal plans, with plans geared specifically towards those who live off-campus. More details on meal plans here.

 5. What happens during inclement weather? Will I be able to take shelter in a Residence Hall?

Yes, off-campus students are eligible for overnight on-campus shelter if they do not feel safe driving home from campus in a storm, free of charge. Contact Residence Life & Housing at 540-654-1058 during normal business hours (8-5) for shelter information. After hours, contact Campus Police at (540) 654-1025.

6. What measures can I take to ensure my safety on campus?

The UMW Police have compiled a list of resources for safety on campus here. They also provide a safety escort system on campus. Parking lots, sidewalks, and all major walkways are lighted at night and the University Police check these lights frequently. Students interested a self-defense course can participate in the University Police Department’s Rape Aggression Defense (R.A.D.) System. This course is free for all students and faculty members.

 7. Can I park on campus?

There are various places on campus that off-campus students can park. Please do not park in areas designated for residents of the community! Be aware of where you are parking and if students are able to park there. Commuter designated parking can be found here. Read the Parking Management notes and download the map from the tab on the left.

 8. How can I find out about what’s happening on campus?

There is a weekly email sent out to students with the events for the week detailed or you can view it online on the SAE website.

 9. How will I find out about cancelled classes or school closings?

Alert UMW is an alert system that allows the University of Mary Washington to contact you during an emergency by sending messages to various devices such as your cell phone or email account. Cancelled classes are to the discretion of the professor.

 10. If I encounter problems with the community off-campus, will I be held responsible on-campus as well?

Yes, you can be held accountable by the The Office of Student Conduct and Responsibility.

 11. Does the Office of Off Campus Student Services help me find housing off-campus?

While there in not an official matching system in place, our office supports a Facebook page with individuals looking for housing, looking for roommates or landlords looking for renters. We also direct them to hang up posters on the bulletin boards in front of Lee Hall and Jepson Science Center. We also have a couple rental search websites listed on our Resources page. The Office of Transfer and Off-Campus Student Services does not endorse or make recommendations for any off-campus properties.

 12. Is it possible for off-campus students to move onto campus?

Yes, off-campus students can make the switch to residential if they wish. Please note that the Housing Agreement is legally binding once filled out. If you are considering moving onto campus, please contact the Office of Residence Life & Housing. A deposit of $250 is required prior to signing your Agreement.

 13. What do I do if I want to move off-campus?

If you have filled out the Housing and Dining Services Agreement, you are bound to living on-campus for the academic school year. Read more information on the Residence Life & Housing website.

If you are inquiring for next year, do not fill out a Housing and Dining Services Agreement, as they are binding. The Agreement is not a backup option while you sort out your off-campus plans.