Student Affairs Mission
At the University of Mary Washington, the Division of Student Affairs promotes students’ success, learning, and personal wellness as they explore the intersections of their college experience. In concert with the University’s liberal arts and sciences mission and values of inclusion, integrity, and leadership, we provide programs, resources, and educational opportunities that prepare students for engaged citizenship in a global society.
Campus Recreation Vision: Our Why
The Department of Campus Recreation believes participating in recreational activities enhances the quality of life for members of the UMW community by improving personal well being, social interaction, and leadership skills.
Campus Recreation Mission: Our How
The Department of Campus Recreation encourages individuals to explore and develop lifelong involvement in recreational activities. We are dedicated to meeting the changing needs of our diverse community by offering quality structured and informal recreational opportunities. In partnership with the Division of Student Affairs, Campus Recreation aspires to create a culture of wellbeing by:
- Creating opportunities for students to practice healthy behaviors
- Developing employment opportunities and leadership programs for students to grow and practice leadership skills
- Offering programs and activities that allow students to practice and exhibit sportsmanship, respect, and civility
- Providing activities for students to seek involvement, form relationships, and try new activities
- Teaching students the importance of goal setting and sharing helpful strategies they can use to successfully accomplish them
- Contributing to a student’s ability to develop meaningful career paths by assisting him/her to identify individual interests, values, skills, and abilities.
UMW Campus Recreation is a proud institutional member of the National Intramural Recreational Sports Association.