Parent and Family Resources

In general, our philosophy at the University of Mary Washington is to treat students as adults.  Thus, we believe each student has the primary responsibility for the quality of his or her educational and residential experience and for meeting the University’s academic and social expectations.  It is the student’s responsibility to initiate and maintain communication with parents or guardians.  This is especially true when problems arise – for example, when circumstances may affect a student’s ability to maintain good academic or social standing, to remain enrolled, or to meet the requirements for graduation.

We strive to help students fashion a rich and rewarding experience at UMW, one that fosters their ability to take responsibility for their own lives and their own surroundings. When you as a parent call a staff member about a concern regarding your student, please recognize that because of our commitment to encourage student responsibility and accountability, we will usually want to involve the student in the conversation.  We will also want to be certain that your son or daughter has attempted to address the matter directly and thoroughly through the many resources available at the University.

Contacting UMW

Please talk with your student before calling us.  Then, ask your student to take the first step.

At UMW, it is our philosophy to treat students as adults.  Our primary communication will be with students, and we will encourage them to maintain communication with their parents or guardians.  We ask you to encourage them to take the initiative to talk with us about academic or social concerns that they (or you) have.  In cases when you might contact us, we will involve your student in the conversation to make sure that he or she fully understands the situation and feels confident about utilizing the many resources available here.  Students may choose to waive their privacy rights by signing the FERPA waiver form. We urge you to discuss these privacy issues with your student prior to arrival to campus.

It is our expectation that students will accept responsibility for adhering to UMW’s rules and regulations, holding other students accountable for their behavior, meeting deadlines, talking with professors when concerns arise, and creating an environment that helps them gain all they can from their college experience.  Thank you for helping us help them!



The Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) affords students certain rights with respect to their education records.

These rights include:
1. The right to inspect and review the student’s education records within 45 days from the day the University receives a request for access.
2. The right to request an amendment of the student’s education records that the student believes to be inaccurate.
3. The right to consent to disclosures of personally identifiable information contained in the student’s education records, except to the extent that FERPA authorizes disclosure without consent.
4. The right to file a complaint with the U.S. Department of Education concerning alleged failures by University of Mary Washington to comply with the requirements of FERPA.

Please see the Registrars Office website at

When is a student protected by FERPA?

When a student turns 18 years of age or attends a postsecondary institution, the student, and only the student, may access, seek to amend, and consent to disclosures of his or her education records.

As a parent, what am I allowed to access under FERPA?

You may only access directory information if your son/daughter has not elected to block it.

Can my son/daughter grant me access to their education records?

If your son/daughter chooses to grant you access to their educational records, they may do so by filling out and submitting a “Consent for Release” form in the Records Office. This can be a one-time release or a permanent release. A student can also choose to reverse a permanent release by visiting the Records Office and filling out appropriate paperwork.

Emergency Information

Students are asked to provide UMW with their emergency contact information.  This is  the only way we know how to contact you in the event of a serious emergency.

For emergency purposes. How can I contact my son/daughter?

In an emergency, please contact the University Police at 540/654-1025, and they can assist in contacting your student.  See for other available resources.

Flower Delivery

Parents or friends who wish to send flowers to a residential student should have them delivered to the Office of Residence Life (Marye House).

The street address is:

1301 College Ave.
Fredericksburg, VA 22401.

Staff members will then notify the student who can pick up the flowers from the office in Marye House. Delivery should be made Monday through Friday between 8 a.m. and 5 p.m.  Florists may not deliver directly to the residence halls.

Campus Resources for Parents

Students at UMW have a world of resources available to them.  Listed below are some of the most commonly used departments across campus.

Academic Calendar
Review all the important academically-related dates and deadlines

EagleOne Card Office
Get a replacement card or make an EagleOne deposit

The Career Center
Explore internship and career possibilities

Student Life
Volunteer opportunities, student involvement, and more

Athletics, Fitness Center, & Campus Recreation
Intramural sports, game schedules, club sports and more

Counseling Center
Free, confidential counseling services for students

Health Center
On-campus health services

Office of the Registrar
Academic calendars, transcripts, grade reporting, add/drop details

Financial Aid Office
Loan and scholarship information, bill details

Parking & Directions
Directions, parking maps, and parking permit details

Public Safety
Contact information, safety tips, and the annual safety report