Homesteading allows current undergraduate residential students living in certain designated spaces within upperclass buildings (except UMW Apartments and any first-year residence hall where upperclassmen live such as Virginia) the option to keep their current room assignment for the 2014-2015 academic year. In order to be eligible for the Homestead option, the following requirements must be met:
- The space is designated as a Homestead-eligible assignment. Not all rooms within upperclass buildings are permitted to be Homesteaded due to a variety of reason such as the space was designated as a Conceptual Living Community, facilities work must be done in a specific area of the building, spaces are reorganized to benefit the community dynamic or meet specific needs of the University, and necessary housing accommodations are prioritized.
- All residents must be eligible to participate in the 2014-2015 Housing Selection.
- All residents, including any overfilled student, must be returning to the University for the 2014-15 academic year.
- The room must remain filled with the residents at 100% capacity. Students wishing to bring in a new person must have anyone leaving the room e-mail Residence Life from their UMW e-mail account indicating their decision to not return to the space for next academic year.
- All residents agree to keep their current room assignments; room changes within the same building will not be permitted (with a rare exception given only in the case of a Conceptual Living Community space preventing the same room to be Homesteaded).
- All residents have electronically submitted their Housing and Dining Services Agreement prior to submitting the online Homestead Form (available at https://orgsync.com/59554/forms/66700).
- Current Eagle Landing may homestead with the understanding that they MUST remove their belongings and vacate the room no later than 10:00 a.m. Saturday May 3, 2014 and will be allowed to return in August during the Eagle Landing move-in date.
- Current Willard Hall residents may not Homestead an adjoining suited room.
NOTE: The Homestead option is reviewed annually by the Office of Residence Life, and policies are determined based on the anticipated housing needs of the University. Therefore, the Homestead option may be subject to change and may not be a viable Housing Selection option in the future.