Resources within the UMW Community:
- The Office of Disability Resources
- Student Health Center
- Student Veteran Resources
- Career Services
- Academic and Career Services
- The Speaking Center
- James Farmer Multicultural Center
- Dean of Student Life
- Violence Prevention & Threat Assessment
- Student Activities and Engagement
- Campus Recreation
Local Mental Health Provider List:
- Mental Health America Fredericksburg List of Fredericksburg Providers. Includes therapists, psychologists, and psychiatrists. Click on “Provider list” on the left column to access most updated list.
Other Services Available from Private Agencies:
- Snowden at Fredericksburg- In addition to inpatient psychiatric care, Snowden also provides a partial hospitalization program, and an intensive outpatient program for substance-related disorders. Click the link above to see a virtual tour of the new facility.
- Rappahannock Area Community Services Board- Provides 24 hour crisis intervention. Can help facilitate after-hours inpatient psychiatric hospitalization. Facilitates admission to Crisis Stabilization program (Sunshine Lady House), an alternative to psychiatric inpatient care.
- Spotsylvania Regional Medical Center Behavioral Health- Located in the Spotsylvania Regional Hospital about 10 minutes drive from campus, this is a 10-bed acute inpatient psychiatric unit. There is also a partial-hospitalization program off-site.
Local Support Groups and Resources:
- Mary Washington Health Care Support Groups.
- HIV and AIDS Support
- Mental Health America list includes Survivors of Suicide, and Depression and Bipolar Support Groups
- INFO Newsletter- Courtesy of Fredericksburg Counseling Services. Comprehensive list of mental health resources, support groups, and AA/NA meetings.
- Bereavement Support Groups List- Courtesy of Mary Washington Health Care
- Sexual Assault Support Rappahannock Area Council Against Sexual Assault (RCASA)
- Empower House (Rappahannock Council on Domestic Violence), Resources for women in abusive relationships.
- Alcoholics Anonymous
- Narcotics Anonymous
Online Support Groups and Useful External Websites:
- National Institute of Mental Health – Public Information
- American Psychological Association – Public Information
- National Eating Disorders Association (NEDA)
- Anxiety Disorders Association of America (ADAA)
- Children and Adults with Attention-Deficit/Hyperactivity Disorder (CHADD)
- Go Ask Alice – Columbia University’s Health Q & A Internet Service
- National Alliance on Mental illness (NAMI)
- Depression and Bipolar Support Alliance
- Wrong Planet- Wrong Planet is the web community designed for individuals (and parents / professionals of those) with Autism, Asperger’s Syndrome, ADHD, PDDs, and other neurological differences.
- Autistic Self Advocacy Network
- What a Difference a Friend Makes Learn more about how to support your friends, classmates, or students with a mental health disability.
- “Am I Gay?” A Guide for People Who Question Their Sexual Orientation
Brochures and Information
- Depression and Mood Disorders
- Eating Disorders
- Alcohol and Drinking
- Test Anxiety
- Public Speaking Anxiety
- Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder
- Coping with Disaster and Crisis
- Coping with Grief and Loss
- Mental Health and the College Experience
- First Year Survival Guide
- Understanding Self-Injury, Cornell University
- The Student Counseling Virtual Pamphlet Collection – A large collection of pamphlets from different college and university counseling centers covering a wide variety of topics.