Have you been invited to participate in the Horizons program? Follow these steps to begin your journey!
- Click here to view the Assessment Rubric. Decide where you think you may fall within the levels: Foundations, Discovery, or Exploration.
- Click here, log in to myUMW, and take the Intake Questionnaire to let us know you’re definitely interested in the program!
- You will then be contacted by your sponsor to discuss your placement further.
To view the handbook click here.
Foundations: focuses primarily on individual engagement and interaction with the campus and community.
Discovery: focuses on how the individual makes an effective contribution to groups, organizations and projects.
Exploration: combines aspects of personal growth and awareness, using skills learned in previous levels to empower students to make significant contributions to the University, the community, and the world.
Student complete each level by fulfilling the educational, experiential and reflective requirements as outlined below.
Educational (any combination of the following)
- Workshops – complete 6 Horizons workshops sponsored by the Center for Honor, Leadership and Service
- Events – credit can be extended for attending campus events which discuss or demonstrate aspects of leadership, service and honor and integrity in conjunction with completing a reflection addressing those topics. Students apply through the Horizons portal to request and then confirm credit. Students will be required to explain the event purpose and content and describe how it applies to their development in Horizons. Guidelines for submission are located on the CHLS website in the Horizons tab and in the MyUMW Horizons portal.
- Academic work – we recognize many classes address leadership, honor and service in a variety of ways. Students are encouraged to apply for credit for academic work through the Horizons portal. Students will be required to provide evidence of course content and required work (ex. syllabus and copies of relevant assignments) and describe how it applies to their development in Horizons. Guidelines for submission are located on the CHLS website in the Horizons tab and in the MyUMW Horizons portal.
Experiential – Students are required to engage in community activity (campus clubs and organizations, off campus groups, on or off campus employment) for at least one semester and preferably one year with a minimum number of engagement hours where they are expected to apply what they are learning in the educational component and provide material for their reflections. There is no requirement to hold formal leadership positions but the student must be able to describe their activity and how it is relevant to their level within Horizons. Students must get their requested involvement approved prior to beginning. Apply through the Horizons portal. Guidelines for submission are located on the CHLS website in the Horizons tab and in the MyUMW Horizons portal.
Reflections – Student are required to complete 6 reflections at each level. They will complete one each in the areas of Honor/Ethics, Leadership and Service. Topics for the other 3 reflections are at the student’s discretion and should focus on areas of interest.
Completion – after completing and logging all their activity in the Horizons portal students will notify their sponsor who will review their record and validate it which acts as approval. After approval students are automatically enrolled in the next level unless they notify program administrators requesting they be removed.