Meet the Student Leaders

bierkan picCameron Bierkan

Major/Minor: Undecided

Hometown: Vienna, VA

What was your favorite part of NEST: Making friends with a bunch of awesome people.

Why did you want to be a Student Leader: I enjoyed NEST so much myself that I wanted to be a part of the program. I also want to help incoming students get adjusted and comfortable in their new school.

Advice for incoming students: Don’t be nervous or afraid to talk to anyone. I was very surprised at how easy it was to make friends here.

Fun fact: I am on UMW’s Ultimate Frisbee team.

field picEllen Field

Major/Minor: Double Major in Biology and Classics with a focus on Latin

Hometown: Haymarket, Virginia

What was your favorite part of NEST: My favorite part of NEST was being able to explore the campus and meet new people before classes started.

Why did you want to be a Student Leader: I want to help new students feel at home at Mary Washington and to not be afraid to live away from home.

Advice for incoming students:   Just relax and have fun, College is going to be great for you.

Fun fact: I can ride unicycles

fierra picMeredith Fierro

Major/Minor: Undecided

Hometown: Virginia Beach, VA

What was your favorite part of NEST: I loved kayaking the Potomac River

Why did you want to be a Student Leader: NEST really helped my transition into college become a breeze, I want to give the incoming students that same experience.

Advice for incoming students: Just be yourself and don’t be afraid to step out of your comfort zone

Fun fact: I have a twin sister

franklin picAndrew Franklin

Major/Minor: Environmental Science + Economics double major

Hometown: Gainesville, VA

What was your favorite part of NEST: Kayaking on the Potomac River

Why did you want to be a Student Leader: To help others get acclimated to a college environment

Advice for incoming students: Join clubs, get active early. Your social life will likely derive from your extracurriculars, so find ones that suit you.

Fun fact: I am double-jointed in both my thumbs

gruendl picBlair Gruendl

Major/Minor: Psychology/English Major

Hometown: Fairfax, VA

What was your favorite part of NEST: My favorite part is a coin toss between visiting the VMFA and going to Adventure Links. I’m an artist so I enjoyed the VMFA visit but I loved meeting people from the other groups when we went to Adventure Links.

Why did you want to be a Student Leader: I wanted to be a NEST leader because I wanted an opportunity to help incoming students have a positive first experience at UMW.

Advice for incoming students: Relax, go with the flow and always leave time to study.

Fun fact: I’m a part of the UMW Women’s Rugby team.

Hiponia picChris Hiponia

Major/Minor: International Affairs

Hometown: Fairfax, VA

What was your favorite part of NEST: I enjoyed being able to familiarize myself with the campus and the surrounding area, as well as meeting new people before the rest of the incoming freshmen arrived.

Why did you want to be a Student Leader: The NEST program proved to be very beneficial to my college experience. After seeing a number of my friends having difficulty with the shift from high school to college, I wanted to be able to help make the transition easier for the incoming students.

Advice for incoming students: Don’t be afraid to try new things that you otherwise wouldn’t have done before.

Fun fact: I am left handed.

Kime picElle Kime

Major/Minor: Political Science

Hometown: Springfield, VA

What was your favorite part of NEST: Tubing down the Rappahannock River

Why did you want to be a Student Leader: To meet the incoming freshmen and help them start off at UMW right!

Advice for incoming students: Don’t be shy! Never be scared to speak up!

Fun fact: I horseback ride.

Maluzzi picOlivia Maluzzi

Major/Minor: Business/History

Hometown: McLean, Virginia

What was your favorite part of NEST:  Having the opportunity to meet new people I would have never met and learning more about UMW and Fredericksburg from students.

Why did you want to be a Student Leader: I want to share my experiences with new students to help make their transition better.

Advice for incoming students: An important thing to know about college, is that it is okay to talk to your teachers and to get to know them.  The teachers here at UMW are here for the benefit of the students.  So don’t be afraid to ask for help.

Fun fact: I have a large obsession with the UK and Ireland, and hope someday to more to Ireland.

saia pic 2Emily Saia

Major/Minor: Psychology and Adaptive Special Education

Hometown: Ellicott City, MD

What was your favorite part of NEST: Adventure Links

Why did you want to be a Student Leader: I wanted to give new students the same great opportunity I was   given.

Advice for incoming students: Meet new friends

Fun fact: I play club tennis at UMW.

winters picMadison Winters

Major/Minor: Biology/ Premed with a minor in neuroscience           

Hometown: Virginia Beach, VA

What was your favorite part of NEST: Getting to know people and the campus before school.  I actually met my roommate for next year through NEST.

Why did you want to be a Student Leader: To give the incoming freshman that same experience of getting to know new freshman and upperclassmen as well. 

Advice for incoming students: Don’t procrastinate on your work, it will make everything harder in the end.  But don’t forget to have a little bit of fun too.

Fun fact:  I’m a 2’nd degree black belt in Tae Kwon Do.