Campus Recreation is excited to offer forms of therapy to the UMW community called Yoga Therapy. Yoga can be helpful in recovery from many conditions and you are invited to come in for a Yoga Assessment to discover just what is possible. In addition to practicing in the Yoga sessions, you will be encouraged to establish a regular personal practice at home which can be literally “Life Changing”. Your Personal (1:1) Yoga Teacher will collaborate with you to create a personal practice that addressees your specific goals, injuries, and limitations and will show you how to get into and out of every pose safely. In addition, you will be introduced to other powerful Yoga practices such as breathing techniques and deep relaxation.
Benefits of Yoga Therapy
Integrating yoga into your regular workout program is beneficial on many levels. Personal (1:1) Yoga sessions can be helpful for those recovering from injury or illness, including: sports injury, scoliosis, arthritis, anxiety & depression, addiction, stress, heart disease, cancer, and more. It can help prevent injury, relax muscles, keep you flexible, reduce stress and improve concentration. However, many potential yoga students may feel intimidated to join a large group or they may feel that the classes offered do not meet their specific needs. Taking a few personal Yoga sessions will be well worth the investment and if it’s a goal of yours to eventually participate in a group yoga class, personal Yoga will help you build that confidence.
UMW Affiliate $15
Community Member $20
This is a 30 minute meeting with a Yoga Teacher/Therapist to discuss your current challenges and goals, previous Yoga experience and health history. The discussion will be based on a comprehensive Intake Form which you will be asked to complete prior to the meeting and to bring it with you.
Yoga Assessments are not included in training session packages. If you would like these services, a Yoga Assessment must be purchased. While this is not required, it is highly recommended when registering for a training session package.
The benefit of a Yoga Assessment is that it defines your fitness level at the time of testing, serving as a great tool for measuring progress.
1:1 Yoga & Yoga Therapy Packages
Each yoga session lasts up to 45 minutes.
Please note: your first personal Yoga training session does not include a full Yoga assessment, but the assessment is highly encouraged. Yoga Assessments must be purchased in addition to a personal yoga training package if you would like the services outlined in the Yoga Assessment description above.
Starter Pack: 3 Yoga Training Sessions
UMW Affiliate $75
Community Member $95
Value Pack: 10 Yoga Training Sessions
UMW Affiliate $230
Community Member $280
Follow-Up Session: 1 Yoga Training Session
UMW Affiliate $30
Community Member $35
(Available to returning clients only)
Meet Your Personal Yoga Teacher/Yoga Therapist
Raam Das BSc, E-RYT 500, C-IAYT, YACEP
Raam is accredited by the International Association of Yoga Therapists and has been working 1:1 with clients since taking Yoga Teacher Training in 2009.
By working individually, Raam is skilled in the co-creation of an effective 360-degree yoga practice to meet fitness goals and address many health conditions. Personal attention supports a deeper level of trust and understanding, providing enhanced benefits of yoga practice beyond attending a group class.
So whether you’re new to yoga, more experienced and wish to deepen your practice, or have a health condition that could benefit from Yoga Therapy, this is a great opportunity at UMW to work with an experienced professional at a fraction of the normal cost, typically over $100 per session.
How To Register for 1:1 Yoga/Yoga Therapy
1. Go to campusrec.umw.edu
2. Click “Log In” in the top right corner of the webpage.
3. If you are a UMW student, faculty, or staff member, click the BLUE button that says “Sign in with UMW Net ID and Password” and enter your UMW username and current UMW password.
— If you do not fall into the above categories, log in with your Campus Rec username and password in the white boxes. If you don’t currently have an account set up with UMW Campus Rec, please email email@example.com
4. Once you’re logged in, on the home page, click the “Personal Training” icon.
5. Select the personal yoga training package of your choice.
6. Follow the steps to make your payment. Please note that you WILL be taken to an external site to make your payment. You must submit your payment and continue moving through the steps until you see a Successful Payment Confirmation page.
If you have issues or questions, please email firstname.lastname@example.org
1:1 Yoga & Yoga Therapy Policies
– Any current student, faculty/staff, Alumni, or secondary cardholder with a valid Campus Recreation membership is eligible to hire a personal Yoga teacher or Yoga Therapist.
– All yoga sessions will be a maximum of 45 minutes in length. Yoga Assessments will be a maximum of 30 minutes in length.
– Clients should wear comfortable clothing that does not restrict movement. Please bring your own Yoga mat if you have one, but if not, Campus Recreation can provide a mat during the Yoga session.
– Yoga sessions are not guaranteed during university sanctioned holidays, such as Fall and Thanksgiving Break, and other university closings.
– Clients will be assigned a personal Yoga teacher or Yoga therapist within 72 hours of completing payment (either via credit card online or cash in person at the UMW Fitness Center between 9am-5pm, Monday-Friday). The assigned teacher/therapist will contact the client at the e-mail address on file to schedule a time to meet for the first session.
– Clients are to register for their desired yoga package on the Campus Recreation website and pay via credit card online or in cash at the UMW Fitness Center front desk (Monday-Friday, 9am-5pm). All Yoga fees must be paid in full prior to starting training sessions. The Yoga teacher/therapist may not accept any direct or additional payment for their services.
– In the event that the client needs to cancel a Yoga session, the client must contact the Yoga teacher 24 hours in advance for that session to be rescheduled. The same applies if the Yoga teacher must cancel a Yoga session. There are no penalties if cancellations are made at least 24 hours in advance. Failure to show up to a scheduled appointment without 24 hours notice, or tardiness of 15 minutes or more will result in forfeiture of one Yoga session. Sessions that start late will still end at the scheduled ending time.
– All Yoga sessions must be completed no later than June 30 of the academic year in which it was purchased (i.e., if you purchase a package on January 5th, 2017, it must be used before June 30, 2017). After June 30, any unredeemed personal Yoga sessions will be expired and therefore not redeemable.
– Clients are eligible to receive a refund for any unused sessions only if a doctor-signed medical note is provided to the personal trainer requesting that the client does not participate in physical activity due to injury or illness.
– If you are looking for nutrition-related services, please seek out a dietitian or nutritionist as nutrition advice is not necessarily in the Yoga teacher/therapist’s scope of practice.
If you’d like to speak with someone in Campus Recreation, please email email@example.com or call 540-654-1732 during business hours.